Avaire Forum  
Old 06-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Archive

Default molding

Author: linda
Date: 5/7/2008 10:58 am EDT
the molding along the carpet is just one piece of approx. 3" regular molding it has nothing else. what if i just cut the molding on the bottom just cover the tile in that one place or do you have a better idea. thanks for your help
Old 06-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Archive

Author: Journeyman
Date: 5/7/2008 1:20 pm EDT
Linda,

There is no such thing as "regular molding", there are many ways this could have been done. To say "regular molding" really isn't enough information.

Are you saying your existing molding is three inches wide, and if so, what is it made of?

You can get several types of transition moldings for this purpose.

You may also want to continue your posts in your original thread so as to save confusion and keep from having several different questions all in different threads. One thread would make it much easier to follow your project.

Tell us more about your existing transition and we'll help you with an answer.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Archive

Author: Chris
Date: 5/8/2008 7:04 am EDT
I'm sure your regular molding is wall base. depending what youre doing in the other tile areas where the tile meets the walls you may just want to install a matching quarter round molding. removing the base and installing it over areas that go from a higher hard surface to carpet sometimes doesn't transition very well.
These are great questions. let us know if were on the right track with our answers. Thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Archive

Date: 5/8/2008 8:17 am EDT
Ah-h-h-h! I was thinking "transition molding" all this time, and you are obviously talking about "baseboard".

How about a few more details?
Old 06-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Archive

Author: linda
Date: 5/8/2008 8:36 am EDT
yes it is baseboard molding. there would approx. 3' of tile then go into the carpet area. the baseboard starts at the door and continues down the wall (in one piece)comming into contact with the carpet and the tile. i had a feeling that it would not look very nice, but i would like to put tile in the foyer.

thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Archive

Date: 5/8/2008 11:47 am EDT
I can't seem to get my brain wrapped around this.

Most door openings have casings that terminate the baseboard, but not in all cases. The tile (meeting other floor coverings) usually is addressed with trim only between the casings/door jambs and the tile also usually dives into the door opening. Either slightly or to the center of the door jamb or wall.

When transitioning from tile to another floor covering midspan of a baseboard you can sometimes remove the base to raise it (atop the tile) at the transition-point and install a decorative block at that location. This block is a means of ecusing the change in elevation of the baseboard.

Or, install the tile and then add shoe mold only on top of the tile leaving the baseboard in tact everywhere.