Avaire Forum  
Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Archive

Default More subfloor questions

Author: Kent
Date: 4/2/2009 10:34 am EDT
Hello I have an older home and to be honest in the intrest of saving both time and money I want to install a nice tile floor in the kitchen. I tore up all the old laminate and I now have a 3/4 inch thick hardwood surface to work with. My question is will this work as the subfloor for the avaire tiles? It isn't very even as it is very old but it is very sturdy. Thanks
Old 06-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Archive

Author: John K.
Date: 4/6/2009 1:28 pm EDT
We were in the same boat with our kitchen. It was old hardwood covered with carpet. We tore out the carpet and laid the tiles over the hardwood. The hardest part for us was leveling the floor. I'd say your hardwood is fine to lay the tiles on, but you MUST get it level first or you'll end up with cracked tiles in the long run.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Archive

Author: Chris
Date: 4/7/2009 8:58 am EDT
Older homes do present some challenges when it comes to floor prep. Like John said the Hardwood subfloor is a fine base for Avaire flooring, but getting it flat sometimes takes a combination of sanding and patching. often times there are loose boards that need to be screwed down to make them stable or at least stop squeeking.