Avaire Forum  
Old 06-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Archive

Default idea--counter tops??

Author: Sylvia Hayes
Date: 2/23/2008 8:27 pm EDT
I think this is such a good idea using a laminate that is real ceramic, but I see where it is not recommended for wet areas. However maybe they could come out with another product that would work say for counter tops. I am thinking kitchen or bath where a sink would be installed over it? My husband and I did a home on the west side of Michigan where we used the same tile in the kitchen and both bathrooms, for the floors and the counter tops. They were the brick sized tiles a sort of off-white, not a pure white, but I loved that part of the house and we had to leave the area and we are trying to put this new house in much the same condition. But if Avaire isn't recommended for wet areas, I am wondering if perhaps the tiles could be installed with regular grout?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Archive

Author: Jonathan
Date: 2/23/2008 9:13 pm EDT
When we say Avaire is not recommended for wet areas, we're really talking about the inside of a shower pan where there is significant water presence. Incidental moisture like a bathroom floor, or a countertop is acceptable.

Avaire would be fine on a counter top! You'll want to make sure you use a quality caulk around the sink perimeter (between the tile and the underlying countertop base, before you place the sink). It'd probably be a good idea to use a general purpose adhesive around the perimeter (under the tile) to ensure the countertop stays put. Be careful for the first 7 days to not expose the Avaire Flexible Grout to excessive water.

We did a tile countertop that matched our floor about 5 years ago - we love it (this was before Avaire).
Old 06-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Archive

Author: Sylvia Hayes
Date: 2/23/2008 9:38 pm EDT
Thanks, Jonathan that sounds great we will be sure to buy enough extra tiles to have them on hand for when we can get the job completed exactly like we want it. To add one more thing, that house we did in West Michigan we even extended the top a couple of years later after we did the original work because we added a built-in dishwasher and in a couple of years you couldn't tell the difference between the old part and the newer part.

I am holding on to your suggestions so I don't have to search when we do our jobs.