Avaire Forum  
Old 06-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Archive

Default Stairs

Author: randy minion
Date: 9/25/2008 10:34 pm EDT
I have a 4 x 8 landing and three stairs, wood, quite solid, but I had some mosaic tile and it did eventually come apart, so there must be some play there, especially with people coming down the stairs, so will your product work for this application? Thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Archive

Author: Jonathan
Date: 9/27/2008 11:19 am EDT
If I interpret your question correctly, you intend to install Avaire tile on the landing, not on the stairs, right?

It sounds like you might have some deflection issues. When you say it "came apart", may I assume you mean the grout cracked and the tiles became loose?

If there is too much deflection, even Avaire tile can experience issues. However, if you check out the Robinson Test videos on youtube (search for Avaire Robinson Test), you will see that Avaire tile can handle significant deflection without tile or grout issues.

A landing or foyer area is very intensive because the foot traffic is "funneled" into very specific spots. Avaire tile has been installed in many, many foyers and has performed well.

Without seeing your application first hand, it is difficult to say with absolute certainty that there isn't a problem Avaire tile can't overcome. However, Avaire tile is designed to handle much more movement than traditional tile.

Thank you for considering Avaire tile!
Archive

Author: Naomi
Date: 10/17/2008 9:40 am EDT
Is it possible to install the tile on both the tread and riser of stair steps? If not, what would you suggest? We have two steps between our family room and kitchen.
Archive

Author: Chris
Date: 10/20/2008 8:45 am EDT
I have installed Avaire tile on close to fifty steps and have great luck by gluing them with a construction adhesive like pl premium on the treads and risers and using an overlapping vinyl stairnose made by Johnsonite or VPI.

let me know more about your stairs and maybe I can help.