Avaire Forum  
Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Archive

Default Floor heat

Author: Jon
Date: 2/20/2009 8:30 pm EDT
I have been looking for a system that offers heat mats narrower than 3'wide, that dont need to be installed in mortar or thinset. I found a company, WarmlyYours, that says I can use one of their products, Enviro II, under floating floors. My understanding is that it is installed over a pad, no more than 3/8" thick. Will this be a problem if I use this pad under my tiles? Will it feel squishy or to much movement for the flexible grout?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Archive

Author: Journeyman
Date: 2/21/2009 5:12 pm EDT
Jon,

You should seek those guarantees from the WY people. I personally don't see how the grout would hold up under those circumstances. The Avaire grout is flexible only to a small degree. I would also be a little concerned about point-impacts to the tile over a soft pad such as the one you are suggesting. Point-loads from furniture legs may also be a concern under those circumstances.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Archive

Date: 2/21/2009 6:37 pm EDT
I am not exactly sure, but is pad used under laminate flooring real thin, like 1/8"? They say it is used under laminate flooring as well as carpet.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Archive

Author: Journeyman
Date: 2/21/2009 8:21 pm EDT
Not totally familiar with what pads are available for laminate floors. I think 1/8" is typical. But, the 3/8" you mentioned would be pretty thick for hard tile I think. The plastic trays (Avaire) may be the saving-grace in that scenario, just don't know for sure.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Archive

Date: 2/22/2009 7:51 pm EDT
Thank you Journeyman for your information, I think I will just install a wall heater for the added heat, and use rugs. I do not want to compromise the integrity of the tile.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Archive

Date: 2/24/2009 11:06 pm EDT
Upon further research I have learned that the Environ II heat panels are acceptable to use with Quietwalk underlayment.

I assume then that, after installing underlayment under the Avaire tiles, the finished floor will be ok? It wont be to soft or unstable and will not affect the grout?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Archive

Author: Jonathan
Date: 2/26/2009 1:48 pm EDT
Jon,

I have heard of the WarmlyYours brand, but I do not have their technical specs. Perhaps I misunderstand, but if their pad is truly 3/8" (0.375") thick, I think that would be too thick for use under the Avaire system. The QuietWarmth brand product is 0.11" thick, or less than 1/3rd of a 3/8" pad.

Generally speaking, if the heating system is designed for use under laminate wood flooring, which cannot be exposed to temperatures more than 85F, it will be compatible with our system. One concern would be the wire thickness and composition. With QuietWarmth, the wires are attached to the pad which provides some protection. If a raw set of wires were installed directly under our tile over a rough concrete surface, over time I'd be concerned about the "grid" under our system "pinching" the heating wires and wearing through the wire insulation. With QuietWarmth, we don't have that concern because the pad protects the wires, and the wire composition is actually a fiber and not a metallic material.

I will review the WarmlyYours system to determine whether or not it is compatible with Avaire.

Thank you for considering Avaire and for your excellent question!

Jonathan
Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Archive

Author: Chris
Date: 2/26/2009 3:50 pm EDT
I've worked with the Warmly Yours product a few times and it's less than 1/8" tick and if a product like Insulayment was installed over it and the floor was properly prepared I'm sure you would be okay installing Avaire tile over.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Archive

Date: 2/26/2009 7:28 pm EDT
I am not sure where I got that pad thickness of 3/8” but anyway; here is more info on the panels.
I would be using QuietWalk underlayment as it has been approved for use with these heat panels.

To ensure the temperature does not exceed 84 or 115 degrees, all I need to do is install a thermostat, right?

The following has been taken off the their website….

Environ II panels are less than 1/16” thick. The power supply cord is ¼”.

Environ II panels are made of a pattern of a fixed-resistance heating element, “sandwiched” between two layers of aluminum foil laminate.

The aluminum foil that forms the outer casing of the panel provides several advantages:
• Heat generated by the heating element wire within the panel rapidly spreads through the foil, creating a large “plate” at an even temperature.
This also helps to prevent heat build up under chair and table legs, as the natural tendency of the foil is to draw heat away from a hot spot.
• It is waterproof, thus protecting all internal wiring and connections within the panel;
• It is rigid, yet still sufficiently flexible to make for ease of installation;
Old 06-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Archive

Author: Chris
Date: 2/27/2009 9:39 am EDT
Great research!

Sounds like you're ready to go.I still would used the Insulayment rather than Quiet walk.It's firmer and will support the tile better. Quiet Walk and Insulayment are made by the same company and use basicly the same materials for each product. I will check but I'm sure it's okay to use.